Back Home

I am happy to report that we are back at home with power. Our power was back on Monday afternoon when we arrived home. Our power was out for about 24 hours which was a short amount of time compared to some of the areas that lost power in the recent storms.

Every time we lose power, which really is not all that often, Trey asks me why we don't have a generator. I do know of some families that have generators that are always connected so if they lose power the generator kicks on. Kind of like the systems at the hospitals or grocery stores. Then there are the families that have a stand alone generator that can be hooked up when the power goes out. I just don't know if the purchase of a generator is that necessary. Yes, when the power goes out like the other day I do wish we had one but we did survive without it. Also, with the recent spike in gas prices could we even afford to keep a generator running! I am curious if anyone of you have a generator and what your thoughts are on it. I do like to be prepared but how far do you go.

Comments

Marcia Bosma said…
I believe my parents have a generator that they keep at my Dad's shop. Then if the power goes out, they can hook it up and run it every so often, just to keep their food from going bad. I'm not sure when they got it, but it seems like we lost power a lot when we were kids. They have 2 deep freezers in their basement full of meat (from my Grandpa's cows) so they probably got it to prevent losing all of that yummy steak! :) If I remember right, you can hook it up directly to an appliance (I think) and just run that alone. So they just run it every few hours when needed, but don't worry about keeping the rest of the house going. We don't have one, just because I figure we can borrow my parents' if ever needed. Hope that helps!

Popular Posts